In this episode, we delve into the relationship between Candida Albicans and SIBO. Our host, Dr Nirala Jacobi, is in conversation with Dr Margaret Beeson.
Dr Beeson has over 40 years in medical practice, having started as a nurse in the US Navy and then moving to become a Naturopathic physician. She founded the Yellowstone Naturopathic Clinic in Billings, Montana, and is the President and Co-founder of the Naturopathic Education and Research Consortium to increase post graduate training in the USA. Dr Beeson is also the president of the Paul Gardener Veterans Pain Relief Foundation, and is the recipient of 2016 Physician of the Year award from American Association of Naturopathic Physicians. She is a national leader in efforts to advance the quality of naturopathic care.
Topics discussed in this episode include:
– Small intestinal fungal overgrowth (SIFO) and candidiasis.
– The comorbidity relationship of SIFO to SIBO.
– Endotoxin association with SIFO.
– The metamorphic abilities of candida and its ability to hide in the body
– Candida antibodies versus counter antibodies.
– Candida as a symptom of dysbiosis.
– Biofilm and candida living as a part of diverse bacterial colonies
– Yeasts and their pathogenic potential.
– Microbiome terrain disturbance as a key player in candida infection progression.
– Die off as stronger with fungus than with bacteria.
– Candidal hyphae, the mucosal wall, and the potential for leaky gut.
– Hallmark symptoms of candida.
– The 4 forms of candida, and which is the most invasive and detrimental.
– Testing and symptomatic identification of candidiasis.
– Organic acid testing and candidiasis diagnosis.
– Fibromyalgia, tartaric acid, and the candidiasis connection.
– Saccharomyces boulardii tolerance and/or use during yeast infection.
– Reactions to kombucha and why they might occur.
– Folliculitis as a symptom of yeast and staph cohabitation infection.
– Nystatin (nilstat), how it works, safety, affordability, treatment.
– The role of biofilm disruptors in treatment.
– Candida as a contributor to salicylate sensitivity.
– Dr Jacobi’s SIBO specific treatment herbs and how they address candida.
– Saccharomyces boulardii and its adherence action to encourage friendly flora.
– Specific prebiotics, whole food diets, and their role in repopulating microflora diversity.
– Dr Beeson’s complementary protocols and therapies to consider during candida treatment.
– Is candida albicans a trigger in the onset of coeliac disease?
- Dr Margaret Beeson
- Probiotics Dr Beeson uses
○ Human Lactic Commensals from Farmax.
Dr. Nirala Jacobi, BHSc, ND (USA) graduated from Bastyr University in 1998 with a doctorate in naturopathic medicine. She practiced as a primary care physician in Montana for 7 years before arriving in Australia and is still a licensed physician in the USA.
Dr Jacobi is considered one of Australia’s leading experts in the natural treatment of small intestine bacterial overgrowth (SIBO), a common cause of IBS. She is a national and international speaker on this topic and her annual SIBO Webinars and SIBO Master Classes are popular and well-attended.
She frequently lectures on her Bi-Phasic SIBO diet and herbal approaches for the treatment of SIBO. Dr Jacobi is the medical director of SIBOTest, an online testing service and educational portal for practitioners. She also has a busy practice in northern New South Wales and offers mentorship sessions for practitioners