In this episode, Dr Nirala Jacobi invites Dr Allison Siebecker on the show.
Dr Siebecker is a highly respected Naturopathic Physician and internationally recognized SIBO expert. Listen in to this episode for a plethora of clinical pearls.
This is a comprehensive discussion about SIBO, and as such listeners are invited to watch the the many professional SIBO educational videosavailable on our website – such as Free 90 minute Advances in the Treatment and Management of SIBO Webinar – before diving into this episode.
Topics discussed include:
– What brought Dr Siebecker to Naturopathic Medicine and SIBO specialisation.
– How the MD and ND worlds are amalgamating, sharing information, and maximising collaborative SIBO research, treatment, and patient outcomes.
– Methane dominant SIBO treatment.
– Diets appropriate to SIBO management.
– The IBS check – a blood test that is available in the United States, that tests for – SIBO caused by post-infectious gastroenteritis.
– Prokinetics and when to use them.
– Historical conventional antibiotic use in SIBO treatment as compared to now.
– SIBO retesting and re-treatment recommendations.
– Stress and its effect on the enteric nervous system and secretory IgA.
– Diet, lifestyle, herb, and nutrient based treatment options for SIBO.
– Atrantil – how Dr Siebecker has found using this herbal blend clinically for methane dominant SIBO gas reduction and healing leaky gut.
Texts talked about include:
– Functional Gastroenterology – Dr Steven Sandberg Lewis
– Breaking the Vicious Circle – Elaine Gottschall
Thanks for listening, and catch you next time!
The SIBO Doctor podcast crew
ABOUT DR ALLISON SIEBECKER
Allison Siebecker, ND, MSOM, LAc, has worked in the nutritional field since 1988 and is a 2005 graduate of The National University of Natural Medicine (NUNM), where she earned her Doctorate in Naturopathic Medicine and her Masters in Oriental Medicine. She was the co-founder and former medical director of the SIBO Center for Digestive Health at NUNM Clinic and has specialized in the treatment of SIBO since 2010.
Dr. Siebecker is passionate about education- she is Instructor of Advanced Gastroenterology at NUNM, Board of Advisor for the GI Health Foundation, Co-Founder & Curriculum Coordinator of the 2014-2016 SIBO Symposiums, teaches continuing education classes for physicians, and is the author of the free educational website siboinfo.com.
In 2005, 2013 and 2015 she received the Best in Naturopathy award from the Townsend Letter, for her articles: “Traditional Bone Broth in Modern Health and Disease”, “Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth: Often Overlooked Cause of IBS” and “SIBO: Dysbiosis Has A New Name”. Dr. Siebecker is currently writing a book synthesizing the SIBO data into one source.